This is the first 360 holistic program where you can learn in-depth about all professions that create a yacht. From yacht design to yacht building to sales and marketing, all the way to operations and ownership.
This program provides both the industry knowledge and management skills needed to lead a successful business in yachting.
The Yachting Masterclass is designed for anyone who wants to fully understand the yachting industry. From new yacht owners, banks, family offices, brokers, suppliers and anyone in the yachting industry who wants to move into a new or more senior management role. From yacht crew looking to a shore-side management role, to shore-based employees aiming to broaden their skills and enhance their career prospects; from yachting professionals seeking to broaden their employment horizons, to companies, who wish to develop their experienced staff and enhance their industry knowledge, and management efficiency of their business.
- Land-based professionals: brokers, designers, yacht managers, charter brokers, suppliers, lawyers, insurance companies, etc.
- Luxury Industry – people working in non-yachting luxury sectors such as hospitality, banks, family offices, etc.
- Crew onboard
- Members of the Yacht Club of Monaco
- Members of the Cluster
The Program & Learning Outcomes
The Program runs for 7 weeks with lessons twice a week: It runs to an executive schedule so you can join after work! All sessions will be in English, with French translation if necessary.
Thursday 5pm- 7pm, theory + open floor
Saturday 9am-11am, theory + guest speaker
The learning outcomes of the various outcomes aim to help students:
- Understand the yachting industry holistically
- Understand who the yacht owners are and what are their expectations
- Identify the principles of yacht designs
- Learn yachting vocabulary, seamanship terms and have nautical fluency
- Recognise the main players in the industry, shipyards, designers and brokerage houses
- Identify all roles onboard a yacht
The Modules & Speakers
Marcela de Kern Royer is the program director coordinating the course, however every module has been done with an expert on each subject and every course has a specialised guest speaker sharing years of experience and insights.
- The course starts with the BASICS introducing terminology such as port side, starboard, bulwarks, etc. You will get an overview of the lingo that shipyards, crew and brokers use on a daily basis. Then it moves onto THE MARKET: how many yachts are there? what is the size of our fleet? the class will analyse the data and the numbers to truly understand our niche.
- YACHT OWNERS: how many millions do you need to be considered wealthy? who are they, where they made their money, why they own a yacht, etc…
- YACHT DESIGN: discussion about the principles of exterior yacht design, and then the module goes deeper into interior design.
- NAVAL ARCHITECTURE, ENGINEERING: what are the basics you should know (keeping it simple and straightforward!).
- YACHT BUILDING: what is the process of selling a yacht (and pricing a yacht), what type of luxury marketing works, the yacht building process from keel laying, superstructure erection, outfitting, launching commissioning, sea trials, etc.
- Everything you need to know about CLASSIFICATION, MARITIME LAW, and FLAG, what does it mean to have a Cayman Flag? how can you register a yacht and what is the trust cost of ownership?
- YACHT CHARTER: everything you need to know to charter a yacht, the differences between a charter manager and a retail charter.
- YACHT MANAGEMENT: yacht accounting, financial management, safety and security management, ISM, ISPS, crew management, technical management, refit project management, new build project management, etc.
- REFIT, MARINAS: which ones are suitable to welcome superyachts, what are the top marinas in the world, what is the future of marinas and more.
- CREW: what are the roles onboard, what are the certificates needed, salary guidelines, life on board as crew, etc..
- Who are YACHT AGENTS, what do they do? what are the BEST HELICOPTERS TO GO ONBOARD, ALL ABOUT YACHT AVIATION and the course finishes with SUSTAINABILITY talking about alternative propulsions, green trends and the future of yachting!
|Seamanship Terminology & Vocabulary||10th April||Saturday||9am-11am||Superyacht captain|
|The Superyacht Market||Boat International|
|Yacht owners – Yacht owners experience||15th April||Thursday||5pm- 7pm||Wealth X|
|Exterior Design||17th April||Saturday||9am-11am||Espen Oeino|
|Naval architecture||Perry Van oossanen|
|Engineering||29 April||Thursday||5pm- 7pm||Matteo Magherini from Lateral|
|Propulsion Systems (engines)||MTU|
|Shipyards & Yacht Building||02 May||Saturday||9am-11am||Paris Baloumis, Oceanco|
|Classification||Engel de Boer from Lloyds|
|Maritime Law||6th May||Thursday||Alex Teji Hill Dickinson|
|Flag||5pm- 7pm||Ed Henny form Cayman|
|Yacht Ownership||Janet Xanthopoulos from Rosemont|
|Insurances||8th May||Saturday||9am-11am||Olivier de Roffignac from Pantaenius|
|Yacht Charter||13th of May||Thursday||5pm- 7pm||Burgess|
|Yacht Sales||15th May||Saturday||9am-||Fraser|
|Luxury Marketing||Farouk Nefzi from Feadship|
|Yacht Refit||27th of May||Thursday||5pm- 7pm||Amico &CO|
|Yacht Management||29th of May||Saturday||9am-11am||Fraser or Ocean Independence|
|Family Offices||5pm- 7pm||JTC|
|Yacht Crew||5th of June||Saturday||9am-11am||Josh Conquest, Superyacht captain|
|Yacht agents||Pesto Seagroup|
|Yacht Aviation||10th of June||Thursday||5pm- 7pm||Airbus|
The Fees : Entire Course or Modular
If students decide to take individual modules, the single price is 250€* per course. In-class participation at the Yacht Club is recommended, however virtual attendance is also possible at a reduced fee of 150€*/3 hours or 1000€* for the entire online course virtually via Zoom live.
*Prices are HT (only members would get VAT reduced prices)
Virtual Discounts :
Employer Sponsorship :
Many companies fully or partly sponsor their employees for these courses and actively encourage personal development in line with company priorities. You should start by discussing your training request with your line manager, training manager or human resources manager to enquire about support available. Make sure you have considered your reasons for wanting to do the course and how it will benefit yourself, your job role and your company. Employers can be very positive if you have thought through your reasons for undertaking the course and demonstrate the self-discipline and commitment required to gain maximum benefit from a training programme. The Course Director is always happy to directly talk to you and your manager to answer any questions about the course.
Spaces for the Yachting Masterclass are limited. You can register and find the terms and conditions here: https://labelleclasseacademy.com/courses/yachting-masterclass-2/
About the Course Director
Marcela de Kern Royer is the Course Director. She is a Monaco resident, founder and owner of Onboard, a consulting firm based in Monaco specialised in the sales to HNWI and luxury marketing in the yachting industry. Previously she was commercial director for ICON Yachts shipyard in the Netherlands and was also the founder and president of the Young Professionals in Yachting (YPI) Monaco chapter, among many other pursuits as being a yacht manager, and a supplier in the industry she has a wide perspective of the industry.
Marcela authored the first textbook ever written about The Superyacht Industry, and she is the founder of the superyacht industry-forum, a platform to connect all professionals. She is currently developing Genoa Superyacht Hub. Moreover, she is a professor at the International University of Monaco.
Apart from her professional services, she is also an influential social media figure in yachting. Marcela speaks fluently six languages, Spanish being her mother tongue, English, French, Italian, Portuguese and German. She has a passion for all things yachting and is known worldwide for being a trusted spokesperson for the yachting industry.
Feature image credit: ©McClic-Yacht-Club-de-Monaco.jpg